Although VPN and SSH are different, in some ways they both have the same function, namely providing a secure connection in network traffic.
VPN and SSH tunneling both function as "tunnels" or special paths in network traffic to establish an encrypted connection. Although different, in some ways they both have the same function, namely providing a secure connection in network traffic.
Well, before you decide which one to use of the two. It's a good idea to first understand the meaning and workings of these two services. Let's look at the following Jaka's review.
- RECORD! This is the Fastest Internet Network With 100 Gbps Speed
- 10 Countries with the Fastest Internet in the World 2016
- How to Block Internet Access on Certain Android Apps
Understanding and How VPN (Virtual Private Network) WorksPhoto source: image: Be Encrypted
VPN or virtual private network is a connection that connects to other network traffic privately through public networks. VPNs are often used by companies to protect data those sent over the Internet.
Every company should have a local network to connect each work unit in it. Local networks that contain important data are certainly very risky if connected directly to public networks. Well, then what if an employee wants to access company resources but he is not in the office. This is then why companies are also obliged to build VPN Server as a private connection to access the company's local network via the internet. The connection established by the VPN guarantees that the network traffic that is formed will be very secure.
Pros of VPN
- Easy to use even for ordinary users.
- VPN encrypts the files sent so it is very secure.
- VPN support at network layer TCP and UDP.
- Can open networks that are blocked by certain ISPs.
- Access the internet as an anonymous user.
Weaknesses of VPN
- Requires large bandwidth.
- The subscription fees and building servers are quite expensive.
Understanding and How SSH (Secure Shell) WorksPhoto source: image: Hostinger
Secure Shell or abbreviated as SSH is a network protocol used to exchange data over a secure connection between two networks. In addition, SSH can also be used to enter into other networks that are more secure. SSH is made for replace telnet task and a shell that is considered to still have many flaws and security holes. Just like a VPN, SSH will also perform encryption and integrity of data confidentiality.
Advantages of SSH
- It does not require large bandwidth to establish an SSH connection.
- SSH Tunneling can be used for free internet by riding a network belonging to a certain provider.
Disadvantages of SSH
- Configuring and setting up SSH is more complicated than a VPN, on the other hand, creating an SSH Server is not as difficult as building a VPN Server.
- Does not support UDP network layer, only supports TCP.
- Must always do routine maintenance.
Which is better between VPN and SSH?Photo source: image: vpnranks
If we are concerned about data security for business and company needs then it is better to use a VPN. With a VPN, all incoming network traffic must pass through the VPN Server first, this makes the company's local network traffic that is also connected to the internet look very private and secure.
However, if we need an encrypted connection just to make a regular connection, either to surf the internet or access public wifi, of course using an SSH server or VPN network will be just as good in providing strong protection. But for sure the subscription fee SSH is much cheaper compared to VPNs.
However, what you need to know next is that connecting to a VPN network certainly doesn't require any difficulties at all. Even ordinary users won't have any trouble. It's different when doing SSH tunneling connections which require a slightly complicated process and divide ordinary users will definitely find it difficult.